Senior Specialist /OT/
Superintendent Resources and Exploration /1/
Oyu Tolgoi’s workforce today is more than 94 per cent Mongolian, and major strategic focus for the company is to develop a skilled workforce that is continuously learning. We aim to attract the best talent, so that we can together deliver a safe and globally competitive copper business that contributes to the prosperity of Mongolia.
We are looking for one (1) Superintendent Resources and Exploration in Oyu Tolgoi LLC – OT Technical and Studies department based at Oyu Tolgoi mine site with roster of 5 days on and 2 days off.
The purpose of this role is to assist in delivering outcomes targeted by the Geosciences team.
What the role entails
- Plan and supervise essential mine resource modelling activities including:
- Complete revision and update of the 3D geological wireframe model.
- Lead quarterly Short Term Resource Model (STRM) updates.
- Manage and update the geological and structural model with new drillhole and mapping information.
- Modify the mine geology model to pit and underground face mapping as provided by the mine geology teams.
- Participate in reviews and presentations.
- Collaborate with Oyu Tolgoi resource development team including mine planning staff and contribute to development of effective life of mine (LOM) and intermediate mine plans.
- Ensure that geoscientific data and documents are properly managed throughout the resource management pipeline and that the most updated and complete version is stored in an accessible and secure infrastructure.
- Assist in the resolution of reconciliation issues (i.e. modelled grade and recoveries versus actual grade and recoveries) by working closely with the geology, mining, and metallurgical teams.
- Maintenance and development of effective field communications systems for exploration activities, and representing Geology on communication systems development at the mine.
- Management of the core warehouse, including the development of a drill core catalogue and keeping all existing drillcore in good condition
- Build a working knowledge of systems that ensure that geophysical data and documents are properly managed throughout the geophysical investigation and that the most updated and complete version is stored in an accessible and secure infrastructure.
- Disseminate best practice through leadership, guidance and mentorship of the team, with a view to ensuring junior geologists are well-prepared for future roles.
- Managing all HSEC related activities by anticipating current and future risks, and setting and monitoring objectives to ensure standards are met.
- Assist Manager Resources and Systems in special projects as directed.
What you will need for this role
- Bachelor and above degree in Geology, Geosciences or relevant discipline
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
- Fluent Mongolian and English language skills (both verbal and written)
- Membership of professional geological and mining societies such as SME, SEG, IMM, AusIMM
- Preferably with porphyry copper knowledge and experience with an understanding of both open pit and block cave mining techniques and terminology.
- Ability to relate with both business and technical people
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong analytical and technical skills
- A proven ability to operate independently and in multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to deliver quality work with tight deadness and cost constraints, often independently and usually in a changing environment
- Ability to elicit, absorb and analyse business processes and requirements from a range sources
- A demonstrated commitment to safety
- Competent and comprehensive use of Vulcan modelling software is requisite of the role. acQuire (geological database knowledge), and an understanding and/or experience in mining environments are essential.
- A participative management style in problem solving, project implementation, continuous improvement, and strong analytical and computer skills.
- Strong desire to acquire new knowledge.
All interested candidates should submit the following documents:
Please click HERE to go to Oyu Tolgoi LLC Online Application System or go to www.ot.mn/Career, select your vacancy and click on the link in the bottom.
Please make sure to attach the following documents:
o CV (in English and Mongolian)
o Cover Letter (in English and Mongolian)
If you have any enquiries, please contact the following addresses:
Monnis Tower, 1st Floor
Chinggis Avenue 15, Sukhbaatar District
Ulaanbaatar - 14240, Mongolia
Tel: + (976) - 7010-3604
All potential candidates must be medically cleared.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and asked to submit additional documents
For successful candidates, please be advised that information submitted and collected during the recruitment process may be used or required by other HR functions such as Training and HR Services.
Employees of the Oyu Tolgoi LLC and subcontract companies currently working at Oyu Tolgoi mine must notify their employer of their application prior to progressing to the interview stage.
Oyu Tolgoi LLC ensures fair and transparent recruitment practices where all applicants are provided with equal opportunities and the decision on recruitment is made by committee members without any involvement of mediating individuals.