1 LUNAR NEW YEAR GREETINGS FROM AMBASSADORS WWW.GOGO.MN PUBLISHED:2026/02/16      2 G.ZANDANSHATAR AND RIO TINTO AGREE TO INCREASE MONGOLIA’S SHARE IN OYU TOLGOI WWW.GOGO.MN PUBLISHED:2026/02/16      3 MONGOLIA ANNOUNCES TENDER FOR BORTEEG COAL PROJECT INVESTOR WWW.MONTSAME.MN PUBLISHED:2026/02/16      4 IN 2025, MONGOLIA EXPORTED OVER 85,000 TONS OF MEAT AND MEAT PRODUCTS WWW.OPEN.KG PUBLISHED:2026/02/16      5 TMK ENERGY EDGES CLOSER TO GAS FLOW MILESTONE IN MONGOLIA WWW.THEWEST.COM.AU/ PUBLISHED:2026/02/16      6 ASIAN BATTERY METALS EXTENDS MONGOLIA COPPER-GOLD ACQUISITION TIMELINE WWW. PUBLISHED:2026/02/16      7 MONGOLIA HOME TO 166 CENTENARIANS WWW.XINHUANET.COM PUBLISHED:2026/02/16      8 THE BRITISH AMBASSADOR VISITED THE BRITISH BUSINESS CENTRE WWW.MONGOLIANBUSINESSDATABASE.COM PUBLISHED:2026/02/13      9 URANIUM NEO-COLONIALISM IN MONGOLIA: CRIME BUT NO PUNISHMENT WWW.FPIF.ORG PUBLISHED:2026/02/13      10 FOREIGN MINISTER BATTSETSEG MEETS US SECRETARY OF STATE MARCO RUBIO WWW.MONTSAME.MN PUBLISHED:2026/02/13      ЭЛЧИН САЙД НАР ЦАГААН САРЫН МЭНДЧИЛГЭЭ ДЭВШҮҮЛЛЭЭ WWW.GOGO.MN НИЙТЭЛСЭН:2026/02/16     ҮСХ: НЭГ ӨРХИЙН САРЫН ДУНДАЖ БОДИТ ОРЛОГО 1.9 САЯ ТӨГРӨГТ ХҮРЧЭЭ WWW.EAGLE.MN НИЙТЭЛСЭН:2026/02/16     МОНГОЛ ЭНХИЙГ САХИУЛАГЧИД 50 ОРНЫ 300 АЛБА ХААГЧИДТАЙ ӨРСӨЛДӨЖ, ЯЛАЛТ БАЙГУУЛЖЭЭ WWW.EGUUR.MN НИЙТЭЛСЭН:2026/02/16     ХИЛИЙН АВТОЗАМЫН БООМТУУДЫГ 18, 19, 20-НЫ ӨДРҮҮДЭД ТҮР ХААНА WWW.EGUUR.MN НИЙТЭЛСЭН:2026/02/16     1.8 ТЭРБУМ ТӨГРӨГ ЗАЛИЛЖ, ОРГОН ЗАЙЛСАН ЭТГЭЭДИЙГ ТУРК УЛСААС ОЛЖ ТОГТООЖЭЭ WWW.EAGLE.MN НИЙТЭЛСЭН:2026/02/16     САР ШИНИЙН ӨДРҮҮДЭД ХӨДӨЛГӨӨНИЙ АЧААЛАЛ ИХТЭЙ 60 БАЙРШЛЫН ЗОГСООЛЫГ НИЙТЭД НЭЭЛТТЭЙ БОЛГОНО WWW.EAGLE.MN НИЙТЭЛСЭН:2026/02/16     ДАРХАНЫ ДЦС-2 ТӨСЛИЙН ТООЦООЛЛЫГ ЦЭГЦЛЭХИЙГ ҮҮРЭГ БОЛГОВ WWW.ITOIM.MN НИЙТЭЛСЭН:2026/02/16     БРИТАНИ УЛСЫН ЭЛЧИН САЙД BRITISH BUSINESS CENTRE-Д ЗОЧИЛЛОО WWW.MONGOLIANBUSINESSDATABASE.COM НИЙТЭЛСЭН:2026/02/13     "ЭРДЭНЭС ТАВАНТОЛГОЙ" ХК-ИЙН УУРХАЙН НҮҮРС АЧИЛТЫН ХЭМЖЭЭ 5 САЯ ТОННЫГ ДАВЛАА WWW.GOGO.MN НИЙТЭЛСЭН:2026/02/13     ОЮУТОЛГОЙН ХӨРӨНГӨ ОРУУЛАГЧИДТАЙ ХИЙЖ БУЙ ХЭЛЭЛЦЭЭРИЙГ ОНЫ ЭХНИЙ ХАГАСТ ЭЦЭСЛЭХЭЭР ТӨЛӨВЛӨЖЭЭ WWW.ITOIM.MN НИЙТЭЛСЭН:2026/02/13    
Англи амин дэм Монгол улсад албан ёсоор бүртгэгдлээ.

Investors call for greater Rio Tinto accountability over destroyed caves www.reuters.com

British and Australian investment funds said on Monday that Rio Tinto’s testimony last week over its destruction of ancient caves in Australia raised questions about the accountability of its senior leadership.

Rio chief executive Jean-Sébastien Jacques was grilled by an Australian Senate enquiry on Friday over how the company had legally destroyed two prehistoric rockshelters, causing deep distress to their Aboriginal owners.

Jacques told the inquiry that neither he nor other senior leaders had read a key archaeological report outlining the significance of a rockshelter showing continual human habitation before the last ice age 46,000 years ago.

“The fact that Rio Tinto’s senior management had not reviewed a critical report about the site itself calls into question the company’s governance and oversight processes,” Councillor Doug McMurdo, Chair of Local Authority Pension Fund Forum (LAPFF), said in a statement.

“If there had been an effective community engagement process in place, it is hard to see how this tragedy could have occurred.”

LAPFF represents 81 British public sector pension funds with assets of 300 billion sterling ($392.07 billion).

The LAPFF, together with the Australian industry fund Hesta, and ethical investment advocate, the Australian Centre for Corporate Responsibility (ACCR), found Rio’s “apparent lack of senior level accountability for the destruction of the caves,” concerning, representatives said.

“Accountability is so opaque on community engagement regarding heritage issues that we are very concerned about how RIO is managing Indigenous Heritage considerations across the entirety of their business,” Mary Delahunty, Head of Impact at HESTA said in a statement to Reuters.

The caves, which were of great cultural significance to the Puutu Kunti Kurrama and Pinikura People (PKKP), were destroyed as part of Rio’s Brockman iron ore mine expansion.

Rio said it its submission that it believed it had the fully informed consent of the traditional owners to mine the area, but its CEO told the inquiry on Friday that the miner had not presented the PKKP with three alternative mine plans that would not have resulted in the destruction of the caves.

($1 = 0.7652 pounds)

(By Simon Jessop and Melanie Burton; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore)



Published Date:2020-08-11